This recipe is adapted from the Reboot with Joe website and makes use of the vegetable pulp left over from juicing. Any mixture of pulp can work, including cabbage, zucchini, carrots, celery, green beans, kale and other greens etc. The broth is tasty and is great as a warm beverage, as a soup base, or in other dishes that call for vegetable or chicken broth.
- 2 qt purified water
- 2 c pulp
- handful cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 sticks lemongrass, minced
- 1″ nub ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 t lime juice (or to taste)
- 2 chili peppers, chopped OR 1/2 t chili flakes (optional for spicy broth)
- sea salt to taste
- combine all ingredients in a large stock pot and bring to a boil.
- reduce heat and simmer for a minimum of 2 hours (3 is better)
- pour broth through a fine mesh strainer and/or use a nut milk bag to extract broth from pulp
- taste and add salt and lime as needed
- store in fridge or freeze in ice cube trays for use in cooking.