This savory recipe is adapted from the Clean Blog and makes 8-10 gluten free flat breads. Socca bread is a nice addition to any meal.
- 2 c garbanzo bean flour (about 2.5 c ground garbanzo beans)
- ¼ cup coconut or olive oil, plus more for the pan
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 T sea salt
- 2 t cumin
- 1 t ground coriander
- 1/8 t chipotle powder
- Stir everything together and let stand for 20-30 minutes, mixture will thicken a bit.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees and heat an oven-safe skillet in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Once hot, remove skillet from the oven and add 1 T oil to the pan. Pour a scant 1/2 c of the socca mixture into the pan and gently swirl around until the batter covers the pan surface.
- Place skillet back in the oven and cook until the socca is bubbly and crisped around the edges (about 10 minutes). Remove pan from oven and flip bread over, then bake for another 3-5 minutes or so until golden brown.
- Repeat until the mixture is used up.
Serve warm or at room temperature with any filling or topping, such as avocado, hummus, tahini, fresh vegetables, pesto, olives or miso paste. I like to double the recipe and freeze them in a foodsaver bag, they last indefinitely!
Tips for Success:
- make sure the skillet is hot enough before every socca, and DO NOT SKIMP ON OIL
- Use multiple skillets if you have them – this helps reduce the amount of time spent waiting for the skillet to heat back up for the next socca.
- I use fajita skillets which are small and oval, increase the amount of socca batter if using a larger skillet.